Ang: Re: Ang: Re: [Stgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] stgt a new version of iscsi target?

johan at capvert.se johan at capvert.se
Wed Dec 7 15:28:17 CET 2005

--=_alternative 005147A2C12570D0_=

                                               Hi! =20

 Well, I=B4m happy with QLA and LSI. That would be great! But I=B4m sure I =

could get the LSI 10Gbe iScsi HBA target F/W and sdk, when they release=20
the board.

Any comments from Mike?

               Best regards from/Med v=E4nliga h=E4lsningar fr=E5n

                                 Johan Kragsterman

                               http://www.capvert.se

Ming Zhang <mingz at ele.uri.edu>
2005-12-07 15:11
S=E4nd svar till mingz

=20
        Till:   johan at capvert.se
        Kopia:  Mike Christie <michaelc at cs.wisc.edu>,=20
iscsitarget-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, stgt=20
<stgt-devel at lists.berlios.de>, stgt-devel-admin at berlios.de, Robert=20
Whitehead <WRWHITEHEAD at novell.com>
        =C4rende: Re: Ang: Re: [Stgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] stgt a =
new    version of=20
iscsi target?

my 2 cents

most iscsi hba are still closed sourced, at least they only provide
source code sdk to customers or oem developers. so it will be hard to
integrate them unless their own engr do it.

toe is not here, not in scsi domain. toe will be treated as NIC and use
software iscsi target stack coming with stgt. nic is same thing here.

fc/sas, or maybe old parallel scsi will integrate with stgt just like
what qla + scst does now.=20

i remember Mike mentioned that he is working on a qla+stgt. also lsi
+stgt is claimed.

ming

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:51 +0100, johan at capvert.se wrote:
>                                         Hi, Mike!
>=20
>=20
> I, and I suppose a lot of other people, would like know how you look at=20
the
> HW support on the Fc side? I don=B4t know what you mean now, when you talk
> about HW target support, if you talk iScsi HBA, TOE HBA, NIC, or Fc HBA, =

or
> all of them. Since I=B4m very much on the Fc side, I=B4m especially=20
interested
> in your developement strategy for Fc. How is your priority list look=20
like?
>=20
>                Best regards from/Med v=E4nliga h=E4lsningar fr=E5n
>=20
>                                  Johan Kragsterman
>=20
>                                http://www.capvert.se
>=20
>=20
> =20
>                     Mike Christie  =20
>                     <michaelc at cs.wisc       Till:   mingz at ele.uri.edu    =

=20
<WRWHITEHEAD at novell.com>,=20
>                     S=E4nt av: iscsitarget-devel at lists.sourceforge.net,=20
stgt=20
>                     stgt-devel-admin@ <stgt-devel at lists.berlios.de>      =

=20
>                     berlios.de              =C4rende: Re: [Stgt-devel] Re=
:=20
[Iscsitarget-devel] stgt a new version of=20
>                                              iscsi target?    =20
> =20
> =20
> =20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Ming Zhang wrote:

> >>an

> >>fact

> >>in

> >>website to

> >>motivation

> >>What is the time frame for having initial release of stgt?
> >>Is it is a good state that if I download stgt and build it, will it
> >>function as an iscsi target now?
> >>
> >>Robert
> >>

> > i am not a stgt developer, so i could not tell u the time frame. i=20
think
> > it still need some work before it becomes as stable as iet.
> >
>=20
> Yeah it is very unstable at the moment. We are in the middle if adding
> HW target support so probably scst or IET alone if you just need iscsi
> is better. We have also been trying to figure out a way to reuse some of
> the block layer code for things like barriers/MSG=5F*, tags, requests and
> queue limits etc and that is really a experiment at the moment.
> =5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F
> Stgt-devel mailing list
> Stgt-devel at lists.berlios.de
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

--=_alternative 005147A2C12570D0_=

nbsp;                    =
                Hi!     &=
nbsp;                    =
 Well, I=B4m happy with QLA and LSI. That would be great! But I=B4m sure I =
could get the LSI 10Gbe iScsi HBA target F/W and sdk, when they release the=
 board.</font>
               Best regards from/Med v=
=E4nliga h=E4lsningar fr=E5n<br>
                     &nbs=
p;           Johan Kragsterman<br>
                     &nbs=
p;         http://www.capvert.se</font>
gt;</b></font>
bsp;      johan at capvert.se</font>
nbsp;      Mike Christie <michaelc at cs.wisc.edu>, iscsi=
target-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, stgt <stgt-devel at lists.berlios.de&gt=
;, stgt-devel-admin at berlios.de, Robert Whitehead <WRWHITEHEAD at novell.com=
:        Re: Ang: Re: [Stgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-dev=
el] stgt a new        version of iscsi target?</font></=
table>
most iscsi hba are still closed sourced, at least they only provide<br>
source code sdk to customers or oem developers. so it will be hard to<br>
integrate them unless their own engr do it.<br>
toe is not here, not in scsi domain. toe will be treated as NIC and use<br>
software iscsi target stack coming with stgt. nic is same thing here.<br>
fc/sas, or maybe old parallel scsi will integrate with stgt just like<br>
what qla + scst does now. <br>
i remember Mike mentioned that he is working on a qla+stgt. also lsi<br>
+stgt is claimed.<br>
ming<br>
On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:51 +0100, johan at capvert.se wrote:<br>
>                     =
                    Hi, M=
ike!<br>
> I, and I suppose a lot of other people, would like know how you look a=
t the<br>
> HW support on the Fc side? I don=B4t know what you mean now, when you =
talk<br>
> about HW target support, if you talk iScsi HBA, TOE HBA, NIC, or Fc HB=
A, or<br>
> all of them. Since I=B4m very much on the Fc side, I=B4m especially in=
terested<br>
> in your developement strategy for Fc. How is your priority list look l=
ike?<br>
>                Best regards fr=
om/Med v=E4nliga h=E4lsningar fr=E5n<br>
>                     =
             Johan Kragsterman<br>
           http://www.capvert.se<br>
>                     =
                    &nbsp=
;                     &nb=
sp;                     &=
nbsp;                    =
>                     =
Mike Christie                 &nbsp=
;                     &nb=
sp;                     &=
nbsp;                    =
>                     =
<michaelc at cs.wisc       Till:   mingz at ele.uri.edu &n=
bsp;                     =
                    &nbsp=
;     <br>
>                     =
.edu>                   Kop=
ia:  Robert Whitehead <WRWHITEHEAD at novell.com>,     &n=
bsp;                  <br>
>                     =
S=E4nt av:                 iscsitar=
get-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, stgt           &n=
bsp;                <br>
>                     =
stgt-devel-admin@        <stgt-devel at lists.berlios.d=
e>                    =
                     &nbs=
p;  <br>
>                     =
berlios.de              =C4rende: Re: [S=
tgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] stgt a new version of    <br>
>                     =
                    &nbsp=
;    iscsi target?             &nbs=
p;                     &n=
bsp;                     =
>                     =
                    &nbsp=
;                     &nb=
sp;                     &=
nbsp;                    =
>                     =
bsp;                     =
                    &nbsp=
;                     &nb=
sp;<br>
>                     =
                    &nbsp=
;                     &nb=
sp;                     &=
nbsp;                    =
>                     =
                    &nbsp=
;                     &nb=
sp;                     &=
nbsp;                    =
> Ming Zhang wrote:<br>
> > On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 10:58 -0700, Robert Whitehead wrote:<br>
 10:32 am >>><br>
> >>to<br>
n, it also looks<br>
> >>an<br>
> >>fact<br>
> >>in<br>
> >>website to<br>
what is the<br>
> >>motivation<br>
> >>What is the time frame for having initial release of stgt?<br>
> >>Is it is a good state that if I download stgt and build it, wi=
ll it<br>
> >>function as an iscsi target now?<br>
> >>Robert<br>
> > i am not a stgt developer, so i could not tell u the time frame. =
i think<br>
> > it still need some work before it becomes as stable as iet.<br>
> Yeah it is very unstable at the moment. We are in the middle if adding=
> HW target support so probably scst or IET alone if you just need iscsi=
> is better. We have also been trying to figure out a way to reuse some =
of<br>
> the block layer code for things like barriers/MSG=5F*, tags, requests =
and<br>
> queue limits etc and that is really a experiment at the moment.<br>
> =5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F<br>