Ang: Re: Ang: Re: [Stgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] stgt a new version of iscsi target?

johan at capvert.se johan at capvert.se
Wed Dec 7 20:07:16 CET 2005

--=_alternative 006A03FCC12570D0_=

                                               Hi! =20

 Our opinion of the LSI MPT target driver is that it is not good enough.=20
Maybe to use as a base for further developement. We had a guy here that=20
spended a lot of time with it, without any success. Maybe somebody else=20
could do a better job, but "warning".
I had some QLA iScsi HBA=B4s since they released them, and I tried to get=20
the target F/W from Qlogic, but they refused. I will try again, since I=20
also want the Fc target F/W.
 We are now running a project to use EVMS volumes for target exportation,=20
currently with scst, but hopefully soon with stgt. We want to put access=20
control in EVMS.

               Best regards from/Med v=E4nliga h=E4lsningar fr=E5n

                                 Johan Kragsterman

                               http://www.capvert.se

Mike Christie <michaelc at cs.wisc.edu>
2005-12-07 19:38

=20
        Till:   johan at capvert.se
        Kopia:  iscsitarget-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, mingz at ele.uri.edu,=
 stgt=20
<stgt-devel at lists.berlios.de>, Robert Whitehead <WRWHITEHEAD at novell.com>
        =C4rende: Re: Ang: Re: [Stgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] stgt a =
new version of=20
iscsi target?

johan at capvert.se wrote:
>                                         Hi, Mike!
>=20
>=20
> I, and I suppose a lot of other people, would like know how you look at=20
the
> HW support on the Fc side? I don=B4t know what you mean now, when you talk
> about HW target support,=20

For qlogic FC, it is the same as scst at this point, except we are based=20
off the mainline qla2xxx driver. At this point I am in the middle of=20
taking a lot of the scst qla code but redone for coding style and our=20
framework and the mainlin qlogic driver.

For qlogic iSCSI, I think Tomo is going to buy a card and with qlogic's=20
help we are goin gto try and add support. For all qlogic sutff we do not=20
have the docs so we are just looking at source in the web and asking the=20
qlogic guys.

Christoph also posted a link to the MPT fusion target support and Eric=20
at LSI has been nice enough to let me bug him about that driver so we=20
hope to get support for the LSI MPT fusion cards.

And maybe one day we can support Emulex. James Smart has been really=20
nice in answering my questions, but I am not sure I want to bother him=20
eveyrday since I know he is busy woth his day job so maybe I will have=20
to go through my work.

if you talk iScsi HBA, TOE HBA, NIC, or Fc HBA, or
> all of them. Since I=B4m very much on the Fc side, I=B4m especially=20
interested
> in your developement strategy for Fc. How is your priority list look=20
like?
>=20

Right now I am just trying to get what was in scst into tgt. So this=20
means qlogic 2xxxx card support first, then mpt, then I will bug qlogic=20
about their HW iscsi card and bug my boss to bug emulex. Tomo might be=20
working the HW qlogic iscsi card or mpt right now though too. Maybe=20
after we have at least qlogic we can try to stablize things (like finish=20
adding refcounting, do the eh stuff, redo the MSG=5F*, fix bugs, etc) and=20
then roll a release.

--=_alternative 006A03FCC12570D0_=

nbsp;                    =
                Hi!     &=
nbsp;                    =
 Our opinion of the LSI MPT target driver is that it is not good enough. Ma=
ybe to use as a base for further developement. We had a guy here that spend=
ed a lot of time with it, without any success. Maybe somebody else could do=
 a better job, but "warning".</font>
hey released them, and I tried to get the target F/W from Qlogic, but they =
refused. I will try again, since I also want the Fc target F/W.</font>
o use EVMS volumes for target exportation, currently with scst, but hopeful=
ly soon with stgt. We want to put access control in EVMS.<br>
               Best regards from/Med v=
=E4nliga h=E4lsningar fr=E5n<br>
                     &nbs=
p;           Johan Kragsterman<br>
                     &nbs=
p;         http://www.capvert.se</font>
c.edu></b></font>
bsp;      johan at capvert.se</font>
nbsp;      iscsitarget-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, mingz at el=
e.uri.edu, stgt <stgt-devel at lists.berlios.de>, Robert Whitehead <W=
RWHITEHEAD at novell.com></font>
:        Re: Ang: Re: [Stgt-devel] Re: [Iscsitarget-dev=
el] stgt a new version of iscsi target?</font></table>
>                     =
                    Hi, M=
ike!<br>
> I, and I suppose a lot of other people, would like know how you look a=
t the<br>
> HW support on the Fc side? I don=B4t know what you mean now, when you =
talk<br>
> about HW target support, <br>
For qlogic FC, it is the same as scst at this point, except we are based <b=
r>
off the mainline qla2xxx driver. At this point I am in the middle of <br>
taking a lot of the scst qla code but redone for coding style and our <br>
framework and the mainlin qlogic driver.<br>
For qlogic iSCSI, I think Tomo is going to buy a card and with qlogic's <br>
help we are goin gto try and add support. For all qlogic sutff we do not <b=
r>
have the docs so we are just looking at source in the web and asking the <b=
r>
qlogic guys.<br>
Christoph also posted a link to the MPT fusion target support and Eric <br>
at LSI has been nice enough to let me bug him about that driver so we <br>
hope to get support for the LSI MPT fusion cards.<br>
And maybe one day we can support Emulex. James Smart has been really <br>
nice in answering my questions, but I am not sure I want to bother him <br>
eveyrday since I know he is busy woth his day job so maybe I will have <br>
to go through my work.<br>
if you talk iScsi HBA, TOE HBA, NIC, or Fc HBA, or<br>
> all of them. Since I=B4m very much on the Fc side, I=B4m especially in=
terested<br>
> in your developement strategy for Fc. How is your priority list look l=
ike?<br>
Right now I am just trying to get what was in scst into tgt. So this <br>
means qlogic 2xxxx card support first, then mpt, then I will bug qlogic <br>
about their HW iscsi card and bug my boss to bug emulex. Tomo might be <br>
working the HW qlogic iscsi card or mpt right now though too. Maybe <br>
after we have at least qlogic we can try to stablize things (like finish <b=
r>
adding refcounting, do the eh stuff, redo the MSG=5F*, fix bugs, etc) and <=
br>
then roll a release.<br>
--=_alternative 006A03FCC12570D0_=--