[Stgt-devel] vsd -> vdev is bad

Mike Christie michaelc at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 20 20:44:08 CEST 2005

Ming Zhang wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 13:27 -0500, Mike Christie wrote:
>
>>Mike Christie wrote:

>>>I would agree it is a bad name, but all that device does today is the
>>>reads and writes. It should probably be called something-something-IO.
>>> From your experience with iet, do you think a read or write will be
>>>different for tape or disk when using the interface we are using?
>>>

>>Oh yeah, I had looked at scst's dev_handlers for an example. I think
>>mostly only the error hanlding will be a problem.
>

> yes, that is quite different.

So I guess we will need something. Originally the vsd and sd names came
about becuase we were only doing SCSI and vsd was a virtual scsi disk
and sd was a scsi disk passthrough type of device. They basically
emulated SCSI's ULDs for tape, cd, disk but they also performed
different types of IO, passthrough vs generic_file_readv/writev.
Eventually we pushed the SCSI stuff to the protocol handlers and the
devices became what they are today. Maybe io_handlers or io_type is a
better name?

Then to suport scsi tape, cd, etc we can add that code to the scsi
protocol and have something simialr to the SCSI-ml ULDs.