[Stgt-devel] Question for pass-through target design

Robert Jennings rcj
Mon May 7 21:54:39 CEST 2007

* Douglas Gilbert (dougg at torque.net) wrote:
> FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> > From: FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp>
> > Subject: Re: [Stgt-devel] Question for pass-through target design
> > Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 00:14:37 +0900
> >
> >> From: Vladislav Bolkhovitin <vst at vlnb.net>
> >> Subject: Re: [Stgt-devel] Question for pass-through target design
> >> Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 18:26:47 +0400

> >> VSCSI stuff (ibm pSeries virtual SCSI) is related with Infiniband.
> >
> > Oops,
> >
> > VSCSI stuff (ibm pSeries virtual SCSI) is not related with Infiniband.
>
> Tomo,
> Looking at drivers/scsi/Kconfig there does seem to be
> some connection:
>
> config SCSI_IBMVSCSI
>         tristate "IBM Virtual SCSI support"
>         depends on PPC_PSERIES || PPC_ISERIES
>         help
>           This is the IBM POWER Virtual SCSI Client
> config SCSI_IBMVSCSIS
>         tristate "IBM Virtual SCSI Server support"
>         depends on PPC_PSERIES && SCSI_TGT && SCSI_SRP
>         help
>           This is the SRP target driver for IBM pSeries virtual environments.
>

> When I see SRP than I presume infiniband is involved.

IBMVSCSI does use SRP as the communication standard for inter-partition
remote DMA through the system firmware, it's part of the architecture
requrements for the POWER platform.  Infiniband isn't involved, we just
use the same standard as they do.

--Robert Jennings