[Stgt-devel] Question for pass-through target design

Vladislav Bolkhovitin vst
Wed May 23 12:45:42 CEST 2007

Robert Jennings wrote:

>>>Although the approach of passing SCSI commands from a target LLD to an
>>>initiator one without any significant interventions from the target
>>>software looks to be nice and simple, you should realize how limited,
>>>unsafe and illegal it is, since it badly violates SCSI specs.
>>
>>I think that 'implemented cleanly' means that one scsi_host is assigned
>>to only one initiator.
>
> Vladislav listed a number of issues that are inherent in an implementation
> that does not have a 1:1 relationship of initiators to targets.  The vscsi
> architecture defines the 1:1 relationship; it's imposible to have more
> than one initiator per target.

Just few small notes:

1. As I already wrote, complete 1:1 relationship isn't practically
possible, because there is always a local access on the target (i.e. one
more initiator) and you can't disable it on practice.

2. 1:1 relationship is a serious limitation for usage cases like an SPI
tape library serving backup for several servers on an FC net.

Vlad