[Stgt-devel] Ideas on more flexible cd handling

Albert Pauw albert.pauw
Sat Nov 3 10:35:45 CET 2007

At the moment it is possible to export a CD iso through tgt but it is
not very flexible.

What I would like to see is that an eject command on the initiator side
"ejects" the iso image on the tgt side, effectively replacing the cd iso
image by /dev/null or /dev/zero on the backing store. On the initiator
side it looks like no cd is inserted now. When, at the target side, I
add again a backing store (a new iso cd image) to the cd LUN it will
send a CD inserted message up to the initiator.

The same can be used for the virtual tapes as it has the same principle
(tape ejected/tape inserted).

This could then be tied into a cd/tape changer device which could manage
a directory containing iso/tape images.

In fact you can argue the same for disks, albeit not a standard way of
using them, but it would have the same result of inserting a new
(SATA/SAS/SCSI) disk to a controller with hotplug insertion.

So what do people think of this idea?

Albert