[Stgt-devel] Which kernel should be used for stgt?

Mike Christie michaelc
Sun Oct 21 21:18:23 CEST 2007

Erez Zilber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So far, I ran stgt only over the kernel from the linux-2.6-target git
> tree. Can I run it over any kernel >= 2.6.20? Can I also run it over any
> major distro? SLES 10 sp1? RHEL 5? RHEL 5.1?

It depends on what target you want to run. Are you just wanting to run
the iscsi/iser parts? You did not want to run ibm vscsi did you?

> BTW - are there any planned changes for the kernel code? Is stgt
> progress done only in userspace now?

For targets that require hardware like lpfc or qla2xxx, there will be
some kernel bits like the scsi_tgt_* code and LLD driver changes. But a
good chunk like is still in userspace.

For targets like software iscsi, it is all userspace.