[Stgt-devel] data corruption problems with stgt (aborted journal, remounting ro)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo
Sat Feb 2 11:19:11 CET 2008

FUJITA Tomonori schrieb:
> On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 10:39:02 +0100
> Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
>
>> FUJITA Tomonori schrieb:

>>> What does your 'restart tgtd daemon' mean? For me, 'restart' involves
>>> stopping tgtd daemon and it closes all the iSCSI connections.
>> Stop it, and start again?
>>
>> Imagine you want to upgrade your tgtd daemon, a kernel running on that
>> machine, or you have to restart the target machine for some other reason
>> (i.e. your target machine died).
>>
>> With IET or SCST there is no problem with that - stop the target, and
>> iSCSI initiator will try to reconnect.
>
> How did you restart IET?
>
> /etc/init.d/iscsi-target restart

Yes. Or restarting the whole machine if I changed the kernel (which
would use the same iscsi-target script).

IET has some problems that it breaks when a number of initiators is
bigger than 50 or so - which needs two workarounds (iptables, and
increasing INCOMING_MAX in ietadm.h).

I described it a bit here:

http://blog.wpkg.org/2007/09/09/solving-reliability-and-scalability-problems-with-iscsi/

Restarting SCST works well, and doesn't need any workarounds.

But I also had one machine which was just hanging/freezing with IET
every couple of weeks - just start the machine again, everything goes
back to normal.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski