[Stgt-devel] Barcode in extended attributes

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe
Mon Jul 28 18:35:45 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Albert Pauw <albert.pauw at gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI my programming skills are very limited, as I haven't programmed for
> years.
> But here is a little snippet of code that retrieves the barcode nicely
> through extended attributes,
> which is the way to go I think.
>
> The value of the attribute can be a zero terminated string of maximum
> 4kbytes,
> but also a binary blob of 4kbytes which should be big enough to carry
> the filemarks as well.
>
> For the barcode this could maybe incorporated into the smc code?
> Apologies for not doing it
> myself, as I don't have the skills to do so.

Albert, we have to worry about more than the barcode. We also have to
worry about the MAM.

In addition, the SMC code is used for DVD jukeboxes (or can be) as
well as tape libraries.

So, retrieving and storing the relevant data as extended attributes is
the simple part.