[stgt] ignoring return values on parser.c

Doron Shoham dorons at Voltaire.COM
Mon Sep 22 15:39:01 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have noticed that on parser.c the return values of strtol/strtoul is being ignored.

This is the warning messages when compiling the code:
parser.c: In function 'match_one':
parser.c:71: warning: ignoring return value of 'strtol', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
parser.c:74: warning: ignoring return value of 'strtoul', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
parser.c:77: warning: ignoring return value of 'strtoul', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
parser.c:80: warning: ignoring return value of 'strtoul', declared with attribute warn_unused_result

Below is the code:

switch (*p++) {
	case 's':
		if (strlen(s) == 0)
			return 0;
		else if (len == -1 || len > strlen(s))
			len = strlen(s);
		args[argc].to = s + len;
		break;
	case 'd':
		strtol(s, &args[argc].to, 0);
		goto num;
	case 'u':
		strtoul(s, &args[argc].to, 0);
		goto num;
	case 'o':
		strtoul(s, &args[argc].to, 8);
		goto num;
	case 'x':
		strtoul(s, &args[argc].to, 16);
	num:
		if (args[argc].to == args[argc].from)
			return 0;
		break;
	default:
		return 0;
	}
	s = args[argc].to;
	argc++;
}

As I understand, today, all other options beside 's' are not in use.
Are they exist only for future use?
Anyway, if we keep this code we need to check the return values in order to avoid
the above warnings.

Thanks,
Doron