[stgt] segfault with 2008-06-09 git

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 9 10:03:40 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
> I just wanted to let you know that I just gad a tgtd segfault with a
> 2008-06-09 git tree, after almost exactly 3 months of uptime.
>

> tgtd[17500]: segfault at 8 rip 40ed9d rsp 7fff910a2750 error 6
>

> Is there some code in tgtd which tells it to segfault every 90 days? ;)
>
> This is a pretty busy server, with almost 200 initiators, so I wont try
> to reproduce - I compiled today's revision, hopefully it'll work better.
>
> Thankfully, no initiator crashed (I think) after I restarted tgtd (there
> was on process left).

And this issue should be long fixed in git, anyway, I just had this one
server not updated.

BTW, what would be the best way to handle target crashes or updates, so
that initiators are not interrupted?

1. Recommended HA solution:

- set up two iSCSI targets; replicate everything between them with DRBD
in dual-primary mode

- on initiators, use multipathd - connect to both targets, set up
multipath, and use /dev/mapper/S_multipath_device instead of a given
iSCSI disk

This way, you can stop one tgtd, and everything should still work,
uninterrupted.

2. Poor man's solution:

- you only have one iSCSI target server - how can you handle tgtd updates?
- start two tgtd processes (i.e., on port 3260 and 3261), and connect
your initiators to these two targets, and use multipath.

Or?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org