[stgt] Bug report stgt vtl

Albert Pauw albert.pauw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 11:51:40 CEST 2009

I may have found a glitch in the vtl code.

Here's what I had:

vtl configured with 8 tapes and 3 drives.

I loaded a tape in the first drive

mtx -f /dev/sg6 load 1 0

Checked the status

mtx -f /dev/sg6 status

which showed the tape in the drive.
Now I write two tar images to it:

tar cvzf /dev/nst0 /etc/bacula
tar cvzf /dev/nst0 /etc/iscsi

(just example backups, not to big)

I rewind the tape

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

And am able to read them both back:

tar tvzf /dev/nst0
mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf
tar tvzf /dev/nst0

Now I unload the tape:

mtx -f /dev/sg6 unload 1 0

All working fine, now I load the tape in another tape drive (or the same
one, it doesn't matter):

mtx -f /dev/sg6 load 1 1

When I try to read the tar images immediately I get an error, however
when I rewind the tape first it works fine,
both images are there.

The point I want to make is that there are differences in tape behaviour
on rewinding before eject.
As I configured the tapes as LTO type it should rewind before eject. A
load would always start
at the beginning. A DLT tape, through its very design, would stay at its
position. As the code is
at the moment, it always behave as the latter, its current position is
at the last state before eject.

It would be nice to have the option of changing this behaviour.

Albert