[stgt] tgtd segfault with software RAID, hard resetting link

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Apr 21 01:05:58 CEST 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:04:41 +0100
Chris Webb <chris at arachsys.com> wrote:

> FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:
>
> > I've not tried to reproduce this problem yet, but can you please try
> > this patch?
>
> Hi. Thanks for that: I'll give it a whirl on a test machine as soon as
> possible and let you know how it behaves. (My previous test machine is now
> in production, so I can't use that---need to put together a new one!)

I see.

Tomasz, any chance to test the patch?

> I'm betraying my lack of familiarity with the tgt code-base here, but there
> are two things I don't quite follow about your patch:
>
>   - If you skip a task because it is 'in scsi', when does it get finally get
>     cleared up?

Yeah, it should.

- If iscsi_task are waiting for the I/O completion and the conn is
closed, iscsi_scsi_cmd_done() frees iscsi_task when the I/Os complete
(you and Tomasz hit this case, I think).

- iscsi_alloc_task calls conn_get(). It means that we don't free the
conn until all iscsi_task belonging to the conn are freed.
(

> (Does the list_for_each_entry_safe keep retrying until the
>     list is empty?)

It doesn't.

>   - You set the TASK_in_scsi flags bit, but I don't see it getting cleared
>     anywhere. (Does the whole flags word get reset at the end of the SCSI
>     command or something like that?)

It doesn't get cleared. When the I/Os complete, we call
iscsi_scsi_cmd_done(), which links tasks to conn->tx_clist. So
conn_close() can handle such tasks properly.

task->flags is confusing. We don't need to use the bitmap for it. What
we should do here is using something like:

enum iscsi_task {
     TASK_INIT,
     TASK_PENDING,
     TASK_IN_SCSI,