[stgt] 0.9.6 released

Chris Webb chris at arachsys.com
Fri Apr 24 08:47:34 CEST 2009

FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:

> you don't need to tell all the targets to an initiator. Do you really
> want one initiator to see 70 targets? It's unlikely. You can use the
> ACL list to configure targets exported to an initiator.

I maintain the code behind a cloud infrastructure provider. The guest
operating systems move around a cluster of machines dynamically to balance
load, and each of them will typically access two or three drives over iSCSI.
Consequently, at the target end I don't know which devices will be needed by
which hosts, and this will change continuously at run time with one host
logging out as a guest leaves it and another logging in as that guest joins.

I fixed this tgtd segfault because I was continuously seeing it, not because
it was something that I might theoretically hit on rare occasions!

Of course, I could implement my own out-of-band pre-login and post-logout
mechanisms to add/remove an initiator to/from a target's ACL immediately
before doing a discovery/after logging out, but stuff like this really
shouldn't be necessary and I'd rather just hack away the limit in tgtd given
this doesn't break anything.

> In addition, discovery Session is not a must (you can configure
> targets on the initiator box by hand).

I do know the target name, host name and port exactly at the initiator. If
it's possible to use OpenISCSI to log in to the target using just these
details and completely skip the discovery step, or to request discovery
of a specific target, that would solve the problem for me, but as far as I can
see, one can't do

  iscsiadm -m node -T "$TARGET" -p "$HOST" -l

unless one has previously run

  iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p "$HOST"

even though all the required info is already provided to the login command!
Similarly,

  iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p "$HOST" -T "$TARGET"

isn't supported. (Does the sendtargets protocol even allow it?)

Cheers,

Chris.