[stgt] tgt for Debian (was Re: [GIT PULL] Proposal for build system makeover)

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Thu Oct 1 09:30:56 CEST 2009

Tomo-san,

including Frederik in the recipient list as is the Debian maintainer for
tgt, and I don't know if he is subscribed here.

On 09/30/2009 03:13 PM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
>>> From a quick look, I don't think that changing Makefile to install the
>>> init script is good because that such Makefile doesn't work nicely for
>>> other distributions such as debian.
>> Care to elaborate? Since when does Debian not use init scripts? Plus, if
>> one wanted to use tgt on Debian (in a sensible fashion), one would
>> require a build system for Debian packaging (read: debian/rules,
>> debian/control etc.) anyhow, and that currently does not exist. So I
>> don't see your point.
>
> First, Debian has tgt package:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/tgt
>

> (it's quite old though, I guess that they still use IET)

And for that reason it hasn't even made it into testing, let alone
stable, and I don't see Debian going anywhere from IET (as their default
iSCSI target implementation) anytime soon. Frederik, feel free to share
if you are aware of anything different.

> Secondary, Debian init script is written in their own way. So your
> init script doesn't work. If you change Makefile to install your init
> script, Debian packaging can't use Makefile; Debian packaging needs a
> diff against Makefile.

Any valid arguments against providing a Debian compatible init script? I
fail to follow the idea of "this particular init script doesn't run on
all platforms under the sun, thus it's better to not include one at
all". There's plenty of projects out there that provide one init script
for fully LSB compliant platforms and one for Debian.

> Check out this:
>
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tgt/tgt_20070924-1.diff.gz

AIUI Debian developers are always eager to reduce the size of the diff
they have to maintain against upstream. Frederik, please correct me if
I'm wrong.

> Debian's Makefile does:
>
> $(MAKE) -C usr/ ISCSI=1
>

> Your changes break it.

It's not exactly rocket science to fix that. FWIW, I've set up a debian
branch in my git tree, which imports the debian/ subdirectory from
tgt-20070924, makes the necessary changes to match the proposed new
Makefile layout, and also updates a few other bits and pieces. Frederik,
would you mind taking a look at that and see if it works for you? To do
so, you can do:

git clone git://git.linbit.com/florian/tgt
cd tgt
git checkout --track -b debian origin/debian
dpkg-buildpackage

... and then see if the generated package matches your expectations. No
init script is included in the generated package for the time being, for
the reasons Tomo mentioned above, but I'd be happy to help out fixing
one up.

Cheers,
Florian