[stgt] Problem: automatic vtl setup using targets.conf vs script, failing on automatic

Albert Pauw albert.pauw at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 08:19:00 CET 2009

Ok,

here is the idea:

- I always used a script (vtl, attached) to set up a 3-drive virtual
tape library, logged in using open-iscsi and he presto. That works.
One of the ways of testing it is using the mtx command to view the
contents of the slots and drives.

- Now I wanted to convert it to a targets.conf file, so it can be used
automatically at start up of tgt. So I did created a file (targets.conf,
attached).

Starting that up automatically works, login into the target also works,
I can see the devices using lsscsi. Asking the status of the separate
drives works also
(mt -f /dev/nst0 status, etc). However, the mtx command hangs, in fact
the whole tgtd daemon seems to hang as after some time the iscsid (the
initiator)
daemon starts to send login requests, but gets no answer. I've added the
two wireshark traces as well.

Here's the actions you could find in the traces:

-> login target
mt -f /dev/nst0
mt -f /dev/nst1
mt -f /dev/nst2
mtx -f /dev/changer status
-> logout target (only when done manually, automatically this is not
possible)