[stgt] [GIT PULL] Proposal for build system makeover

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Wed Sep 30 07:21:18 CEST 2009

Tomo-san, Mike,

I am submitting a humble proposal for a makeover of the build system, in
an effort to "clean up" a bit before a 1.0 release which is probably set
to happen soon.

My motivation for this is to facilitate RPM builds. I understand that
you are not inclined to include an RPM spec in the tgt tree yourself,
however I would ask you to please pull the other patches into the tree
if you find them useful.

I have set up a public git tree for you to review these changes, you can
check our gitweb here:

http://git.linbit.com/?p=florian/tgt;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/rpm

The "rpm" branch is based upon the current upstream master.

Here is a short description of the relevant patches:

http://git.linbit.com/?p=florian/tgt;a=commit;h=730fd500b0f4615d5132cdcce9a4fb81970ac51d

Imports the init script and example configuration files. This is
directly from Mike's scsi-target-utils package. As Mike has already said
he has no objections for this to be pulled into the upstream repo, I
would suggest that it is probably a really good idea to do so.

http://git.linbit.com/?p=florian/tgt;a=commit;h=d3238afedc07f0f14f17691bcf6c4f655f04abb7

This is the big change to the build system. Rather than having
everything in one Makefile in /usr, this adopts a more conventional
approach of one Makefile per directory, with a top-level Makefile to
drive everything. This also uses "git describe" so as to
be able to auto-generate the version string from information available
from git (if we are building from a git checkout), and also include this
information in a tarball (so as to also be able to build outside a git
checkout).

http://git.linbit.com/?p=florian/tgt;a=commit;h=637d5e33a8ec155e702cdbe2c82fedc4e475dec0

This, finally, adds a spec file template, and RPM build support. Even if
this is not included in upstream, Mike (and other package maintainers)
might be able to use this for rolling RPMs.

Perhaps you want to cherry-pick the first two, and leave the final one
in my repo.

Please let me know if this is useful. Thanks!

Cheers,
Florian