[stgt] stgt does not preempt SCSI-2 reservations; may break MS Cluster Service failover

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Thu Sep 3 07:40:43 CEST 2009

Fujita-san,

On 2009-09-02 07:02, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> You mean that MSSC sends TARGET_WARM_RESET (or TARGET_COLD_RESET)?
> Note that there is no 'bus reset' thing.

In SCSI2, TARGET_RESET was called BUS_DEVICE_RESET (at least in the
defines inside the Linux source tree).

And yes, the Windows SCSI stack does a "SCSI bus reset", colloquially
speaking, whatever that is translated to in iSCSI speak.

> I didn't implement TARGET_RESET thing mainly because it's obsolete in
> SCSI-3 (and because I'm lazy).

But the SCSI-3 PRs are not there, either. And to preempt SCSI-2
reservations, target reset seems a necessity, for many if not all
initiators.

> BTW, IET doesn't correctly handle any reset commands (i.e. it doesn't
> handle UA). I wrote IET so I know exactly what it does.

Yes, I know you wrote it, and I know it does not handle the Unit
Attention stuff, but at least it preempts the SCSI-2 reservations
on target reset. Does it not?

I'm kind of at odds as to how I should proceed here. It seems very
strange to allow reservations, but then pretty much ignore any attempt
to preempt them.

Any more thoughts? They would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Florian