[stgt] CHAP doesn't work as expected ?! Or user error :) ?

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Feb 16 02:38:13 CET 2010

Hey,

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:46:51 -0800
Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I just started testing some of the features of stgt.
>
> While trying stgt, realized that stgt provides the option of "CHAP" or
> "None" to the initiator. open-iscsi SW initiator chooses the lower
> "None", thereby it ends up not using the CHAP that I specified for the
> target in stgt.
>
> How do I tell stgt to _not_ provide "None" as an option ? IOW, makes
> sure CHAP _is_ used by the initiator ?

Are you taking about a discovery or normal session?

About a normal session, if you set up an account for a target, the
target doesn't allow "None" (that is, the target always requires the
security negotiation stage). If not, it's surely a bug.

READEME.iscsi describes the way to set up an account for a target:

Authentication
-------------
Let's create a new account:

host:~/tgt# ./usr/tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode account --user fujita --password tomo
host:~/tgt# ./usr/tgtadm --lld iscsi --op show --mode account
Account list:
    fujita

You can assign this account to any targets:

host:~/tgt# ./usr/tgtadm --lld iscsi --op bind --mode account --tid 1 --user fujita
host:~/tgt# ./usr/tgtadm --lld iscsi --op show --mode target
Target 1: iqn.2001-04.com.example:storage.disk2.amiens.sys1.xyz
    System information:
        Driver: iscsi
    I_T nexus information:
    LUN information: