[stgt] Using tgtd to pass through a SCSI tape drive

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 20:53:00 CEST 2010

Hi,

I was wondering if it's currently possible to use tgtd to pass through a
real SCSI tape drive?  The closest I got was this:

./tgtadm -d --lld iscsi --op new --mode logicalunit --tid 3 --lun 2
--backing-store=/dev/sg3 --bstype=sg --device-type=tape

... having patched tgtadm 1.0.6 a bit to allow it to pass that device
type, but a probe from the initiator seemed to make tgtd crash.

Is this actually possible yet, and if so, are there prerequisites in
terms of the kernel version and code version etc.?  I couldn't find any
reference to this in the documentation for 1.0.6, and I couldn't see a
way to get a list of supported bstypes or device-types from tgtadm
either.  There seemed to be more types in the code than the manual
pages, so I just tried a few more or less at random (what's the
different between a bsg and an sg?  A quick look at the Linux kernel
headers didn't even seem to illuminate this)...

In the meantime, I have things working using scst, but I'd prefer to go
back to stgt if I can, as that's what I've used elsewhere (in addition
to not requiring out-of-tree code which asks you to do weird stuff in
/proc/).

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.