[stgt] Using tgtd to pass through a SCSI tape drive

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Sat Jul 31 02:31:40 CEST 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:55:51 +1000
Mark Harvey <markh794 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So far, with this patch in place, it has passed all the current
> NetBackup 'Drive Qualification tests'.
> I'm just waiting on the last one to complete which writes random data
> to complete tape to test EOT behaviour.
>
> As I've only got one spare tape in this library, I'm not sure if this
> test will succeed as it is suppose to load a 2nd blank tape.. Oh well.
> I'll check back in on progress once I'm at home to see if it
> completed, otherwise it will be tomorrow.
>
> However, all tests so far have passed.
>  - basic opening, closing & writing to tape
>  - fast block locate tests
>  - Force errors and check correct response
>  - various reads/writes & positioning to check drive performance.

Nice, thanks for testings!

Probably, tgtd shouldn't set timeout. And tgtd also needs to pass
through task management functions from initiators.

The state of tgt pass though support is that it probably works, but it
might useful on some cases.

> i.e.
> Add a tested-by: Mark Harvey on this patch :)
>
> p.s.
> As you have gone to the trouble to send a SCSI Inquiry to the device,
> any chance of using that info to update "Type" message as well ?

I merged a patch from Alexander so "passthough" type is
printed. However, it might be better to print something like
"tape (passthough)".