[stgt] read only access on 1 LUN for multiple initiators

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Mar 4 06:40:07 CET 2010

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 01:24:34 +0200
Kapetanakis Giannis <bilias at edu.physics.uoc.gr> wrote:

> On 28/2/2010 22:11, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> > But generally, this is not recommended - use a distributed filesystem
> > like GFS, or NFS, or glusterfs instead.
> >

> btw since I've never played with GFS before (fencing stopped me the last
> time),
> what's the standard way to combine it with iscsi?

Yeah, if you want to share data on iSCSI between multiple clients, you
need a SAN file system. GFS2 is one of them. OCFS2 is another option.

I'm not sure what you want exactly, but if you want to share data
between multiple clients, CIFC (samba) or NFS might be better for you.

> Do you first define the iscsi LUN/target and then build GFS on top of it?

Yeah.

> Does the target-server become an initiator as well or does it access it
> directly?

You better avoid running an initiator and a target on the same
machine. It's fine if you just want to play with that.