[stgt] iSNSServerIP and targets.conf

Mike Christie michaelc at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 29 20:40:38 CEST 2010

On 03/24/2010 08:09 AM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:48:03 +0100
> Tomasz Chmielewski<mangoo at wpkg.org>  wrote:
>
>> Am 24.03.2010 12:15, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>
>>> Does it always accept one value, or is it allowed to use more values? Say:
>>>
>>> tgtadm --op update --mode sys --name iSNSServerIP -v 192.168.11.133
>>> tgtadm --op update --mode sys --name iSNSServerIP -v 192.168.22.233
>>> tgtadm --op update --mode sys --name iSNSServerIP -v 192.168.33.33
>>
>> Looks iSNSServerIP will be updated each time with commands above.
>
> Yeah, we have the only one iSNS server.
>
> Mike, do we need to support multiple iSNS servers? I completely forgot
> about iSNS stuff. :)

I do not know. There is a section on backup isns servers in the rfc, but
I do not think any of it is required and I am not sure any isns server
really supports it well. People are probably adding redundancy at a
higher level and not relying on the isns clients/servers to handle it.

If it is a lot of work, I would not waste time on it. For open-iscsi I
added the ability to support multiple servers but then I found that I
could not find any targets that support more than one and I could not
find any servers that support the stuff in rfc4171#section-2.7 out of
the box.

So for open-iscsi you can basically just do discovery to multiple
servers and get scns from multiple servers, but there is no support for
handling failing over from one server to another.