[stgt] iscsi initiastor library for kvm/qemu

Mike Christie michaelc at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 22 23:16:02 CET 2010

On 11/22/2010 02:11 PM, Mike Christie wrote:
> On 11/19/2010 11:31 PM, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
>> List,
>>
>> Slightly off-topic, but I think it is of interest to several on the list.
>>

>> I just sent a patch to the KVM mailinglist that add a fully posix and
>> fully async initiator library.
>> Of immediate purpose to allow kvm-qemu to access TGTD exported LUNs
>> directly without having to go through open-iscsi
>> and making the devices visible to the host (which is VERY annoying).
>> But also to evolve to a full blown iscsi library.
>>
>> Anyone interested in an iscsi client library and building applications
>> thereon are encouraged to view it and perhaps contribute.
>
> The initiator is all in userspace, right? Is there any plans on
> supporting offload? Would you create some offloaded connection using a
> driver like bnx2i/cxgb3i/be2iscsi/qla4xxx then pass/get pdus through it?

Oh yeah, there is also a libiscsi for userspace apps here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mnc/open-iscsi.git;a=tree;f=libiscsi;h=da40a4845058b1c23d803dc91a1fbc7c225c7025;hb=qla4xxx
This uses the open-iscsi kernel code, so it is probably not going to
help you. An updated versions is currently shipped in red hat distro's
(can send the patch if you want) and used by the installer, anaconda, to
discover and log into targets and find disks.

Do you think there will be overlap? Just wondering because for
open-iscsi we are trying to modify that lib to support more operations,
so it is useful to other apps but if your lib ends up supporting
everything we need we would just use it instead.