[stgt] Worker Threads

Bennett, Jeffrey jab at sdsc.edu
Mon Sep 26 22:11:15 CEST 2011

Thanks Greg, you did a great job documenting all of your testing.

We have noticed a great improvement in random performance (4kb blocksize) over iSER when using 128 worker threads in comparison with 4 worker threads. I don't have the numbers in front of me but something around 200.000 random read IOPS and 4GB/sec is what we see in our system using 16 flash drives and QDR IB.

It seems you are using 1Gbit network so maybe in your particular case, given the latency of Ethernet-based network, increasing the worker threads does not help with random i/o, even when using a ramdisk.

jab