[stgt] how to setup a virtual tape using scsi-target-utils?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 05:47:54 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Rob Evers <revers at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/16/2012 05:32 PM, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
>>
>> Can you verify that the tgtd target is running properly ?
>>

>> Just try to start it manually as root as :
>>
>> killall -9 tgtd
>> tgtd
>>
>> and verify it is running by  netstat -tapn | grep 3260
>>

> Thanks, that worked.
>
> I'm currently running into an issue where I try to configure
> in over 256 virtual tapes via iscsi and on the initiator I see:

On a different topic.
256 tape drives sounds an awful lot for a VTL.

Normally I would imagine that you would have only 2-4 tape drives in
the VTL,    but then have hundreds/thousands/tens-of-thousands
storage element slots for the tapes,   and a robot to shuffle the
tens-of-thousands of tapes between the slots and the 2-4 tape drives.

You really want >256 tape drives ?   not tapes,   tape drives ?

regards
ronnie sahlberg