[stgt] VMware vSphere 5.1 iSCSI Software Initiator and Open iSCSI Server / tgtd

Benjamin Fisher kurasoe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 04:13:41 CEST 2012

Does anybody have any experience with vSphere 5.0 or 5.1 hosts and
getting them to talk to targets from a Linux Open iSCSI server?

I have a RHEL6 VM with Open iSCSI on it as a test, but my hosts cannot talk.

Network traffic is coming through (no IPtable, no SELinux, no ESX
firewall issues).  Also tcpdump verified.  Logs in /var/log/messages
just say "connection closed" with not much more info.  If I can
increase logging verbosity I can do that and try again.

In the config I have the default-drive as iscsi and the VMware hosts
are using software initiator.

Let me know, and thanks!  Completely knew to Open iSCSI so I apologize
in advance!

-Ben