[stgt] Cannot connect iSCSI initiator to two TGT hosts at once...

Clay Goss claygoss at issuestechnology.com
Wed Apr 24 03:46:46 CEST 2013

I have two Centos 6.4 minimal systems with TGT on them, each with a
single, iSCSI target LUN.

I am trying to connect to both from an ESXi 5.0 U1 host.

I can connect and mount the volume on either target system is the
other is offline, but not to both at once.

Based on my research, I believe I have tracked it down to the fact
that both target hosts report their TGT controller as having SCSI ID
of 00010000 and SCSI SN of beaf10. This seems to cause the initiator
to believe the two hosts are one and the second IP is a second path.

What my research has failed to show, is how to make them unique. I did
try removing the targets.conf from /etc/tgt and issuing:

tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode target --tid 2 -T
iqn.2013-04.net.issuestechnology:itsan002.issuestechnology.net

This created a controller with SCSI ID of 00020000 and SCSI SN of
beaf3298, but once I put back my targets.conf, it reverted back to
00010000 and beaf10 for the controller.

Clay Goss