[stgt] backing-store options

Boaz Harrosh bharrosh at panasas.com
Fri Oct 4 01:17:35 CEST 2013

On 10/03/2013 04:06 PM, Dan Mick wrote:
> For bs_rbd, I need to pass some options through from tgtadm.  I don't
> see a generic mechanism for doing this; there's
>
> * bsoflags, which seems to be an int with O_ flags in it, and
>
> * --params, but those seem specific to --op update and disallowed for
> OP_NEW (and have predefined meanings anyway).
>
> Anyone have any objection to a --bsopts parameter that is free-form and
> interpreted only by the selected backend storage driver?  This would go
> with --backing-store and --bstype and --bsoflags.
>
> (I'm not sure what a good short option letter would be; 'S' is one of
> the few available.)
>
> --

What I did as a QD is use the --backing-store string with a ":" for
separating parameters in the form:

old --backing-store
	/path/to/exported/object/stor/
(Which is just a directory on disk to hold the object store)
New --backing-store
	/path/to/exported/object/stor/:param_foo=some_value:param_baz=some_other_value

And so on. So I did not need to change any tgtd core code, and the sig of my bs_osdemu
need not change. The parsing of such string is trivial. All params are optional
so the code is backward compatible

Cheers
Boaz