[stgt] poor rbd performance

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Mon Aug 25 01:25:06 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 09:46:37 -0400
Wyllys Ingersoll <wyllys.ingersoll at keepertech.com> wrote:

> Hey Dan, its always good to hear from another former Sun eng.
>
> I saw your blog posts about the RBD backend and it seems to work as
> advertised.  I don't know if the rados aio calls will make it better
> or not.  I do know that it is possible to get better throughput using
> the standard IO functions (the ones you used) because all of the
> non-iSCSI tests we've done just use the standard rbd_read/rbd_write
> calls just like bs_rbd.  It might be an architectural limitation in
> tgtd, but I am not familiar enough with the tgtd code yet to know
> where to look for the bottlenecks.  I tried changing the timing
> interval in 'work.c' to be much shorter, but it didn't make a
> difference.  When I enabled some debug logging, I see that the maximum
> data size that the tgtd read or write operation handles is only
> 128Kb,

You mean that the read/write size from iSCSI initiators is 128K? If
so, probably it's due to your configuration. tgt doesn't have such
limit. iSCSI has lots of negotiation parameters between an initiator
and a target, which affects the performance. You need to configure
both properly to get good performance.

> which is something that may be worth tracking down, perhaps theres a
> way to make it ask for bigger chunks of data.  We've even tried
> changing the replication on the ceph pool to 1 (just for testing
> purposes) to eliminate the duplication from the equation, but its not
> making much difference in this situation.
>
> I might try modifying the code to use the aio calls to see how it
> goes, it might yield some interesting results if I add some timing
> measurements, and maybe it will end up being faster.
>
> Any suggestions for further ceph tuning or other areas in tgtd to look
> at for possible problems?

I would suggest you to work on a simpler backend like bs_null to know
the best performance of tgt on your env. I think that the first step
is knowing where is the bottleneck.