[wpkg-users] Installing a new CA cert

Jason Castonguay jcastonguay at solutionsforprogress.com
Wed Dec 6 01:27:08 CET 2006

Hi list,

I saw that other people have methods of installing Certificate Authority
certs in windows. Here is one that I have found.

You will need CertMgr.exe .Its found in both WinSDK and WDK. We'll grab
the latest WinSDK, the Vista version which can run on XP Pro as well.

Note that WinSDK's installer (Setup.exe) needs Net 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displayLang=en

(silent install is /q on command line. )

* Install WinSDK Setup.exe *

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7614FE22-8A64-4DFB-AA0C-DB53035F40A0&displaylang=en

(silent install is /q on command line, but you only need the win32
utilities. I'm not sure how to select packages with quiet install. )

Once WinSDK is installed, you have CertMgr.exe . Its buried in the Bin
folder in the SDK directory.

 CertMgr.Exe -add ca-cert.der -s -r localMachine root

(leave off -r localMachine for user account install. "my" is the default
store for user certs, "root" for machine root certificates.)

Example:

<package
 id="ssl_cert"
    name="ssl certificate"
    revision="1"
    reboot="false"
    priority="50"
    execute="once">
    <install cmd='%SOFTWARE%\pkg\ssl\CertMgr.Exe -add
%SOFTWARE%\pkg\ssl\ca-cert.der -s -r localMachine root'>
    </install>
</package>

So enjoy! I also put this up on http://wpkg.org/index.php/SSL_CA_Install

--