[wpkg-users] locking out users during wpkg

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Dec 5 20:15:07 CET 2006

Erick Engelke wrote:
> I created a way to lock out interactive Windows logins while WPKG is
> working.  It works both from the console and using RDP (windows remote
> desktop).
>
> You can read about it at:
> http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~erick/free/wpkg/wpkggina.htm
>
> Follow the warnings carefully.  You should have a boot disk or
> CD available so you can fix your system if you make a spelling
> mistake.

Nice.

Before the end of the year, we will have something similar in WPKG
installer. It will have some additional features, too:

- choose if we want to delay logon until all packages are installed

- if we want to delay logon, how much?
   - until all packages are installed/processed, no matter how long it takes
   - delay logon by max. X minutes (i.e. 10 or 15 minutes) - in case an
admin makes an error (and some software never installs, but waits for
user input in the background) - user will be able to log in after that time

- custom warning, two texts, changing each 10 seconds or so (indicates
that the PC really does something):

  1) WPKG is installing applications and applying settings...
  2) Please wait, don't restart or power off your computer...

  The admin will be able to change it (to Polish, German etc.).

Everything customizable via a GUI installer or command line (via XML
settings file).