[wpkg-users] profiles

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Jul 18 11:25:07 CEST 2006

Huck wrote:
> New list member, hoping wpkg is an answer to prayer!
>
> A couple newbie questions:
>
> 1.) Are the profiles only in relation to the group of applications to
> install or is there a way to specify for which 'user profile' to install
> on the windows machine?

It's a bit different.
First, you define which profiles are attached to which hostnames in
hosts.xml file.
You can use regular expressions, too, to match more hosts.

So I'd say profiles relate to hostnames.

> 2.) Say, I have installation CD's, I would normally install all of the
> applications and then create an image of the HD and Ghost the other
> machines with the image.
> Then if I needed to change software (i.e.
> upgrade MS-OFFICE) I would upgrade on my virgin image and then re-image
> the computer lab(school setting).

And that's a very dumb way to deploy software IMO - do you really create
a 3 GB (more or less) image, and then deploy it on 100 workstations in
your company if you just want to update a small program? This takes
time, doesn't it?

> With wpkg, how would I handle that
> given the requirement to input a serial number/key ?

Mostly, applications can be installed in a silent way.

Check this page for some info with working examples:

http://wpkg.org/index.php/Category:Silent_Installers

And this one for some theory on finding out how to install your
application silently:

http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php