[wpkg-users] Definative installation commands?

Joshua Weage weage98 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 23 14:39:27 CEST 2006

--- Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
> Joshua Weage wrote:
> In Windows world, there is no "standard" way of installing things,
> like
> for example RPM in the Linux world.

I wasn't completely clear in my previous post.  There are actually two
questions I am asking.

1.  It appears that when wpkg executes a command directly via the
install, upgrade or remove options, that it does not do environment
variable expansion.  Is this the case?  The wiki wishlist indicates
this.  Therefore, people are using cmd.exe to perform variable
expansion, but doing this results in command windows popping up on the
screen while a user is trying to login, which is rather annoying.  Is
using cmd.exe the only way to currently accomplish variable expansion?

2.  Does the command used for install/upgrade/remove need to return
only after it has completed?  msiexec returns immediately, it does not
wait for the install/upgrade/remove process to complete.  Will this
confuse the wpkg completion checking process?  Some of the silent
installers use 'cmd.exe /c start /wait' to run msiexec, some do not.
Is the "start /wait" method needed or is wpkg smart enough to figure
out when the installer is actually complete?

Thanks,

Josh

http://mail.yahoo.com