[wpkg-users] WPKG Installer

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Sep 20 23:07:04 CEST 2006

David Miller wrote:
> Tomasz,
>   I have a request for the installer.
>
>   How about add a test to the packages.xml format that allows the
> installer to test whether or not a particular process is running prior
> to installing/upgrading/removing a package.  With an option to kill the
> process.  I guess this could fall into the pre command catagory.  But
> this way if needed wpkg can force an update and the program when it's
> currently running.  This can prevent packages from getting half updated
> before running into an can't over writing file error.  Obviously the
> option to kill the process will have to be used carefully.

WPKG Installer (http://wpkg.org/files/wpkg-installer.zip) has nothing to
do with XML files.
It merely sets up the workstation to start WPKG (that is, "cscript
\\path\to\wpkg.js /flags", with correct credentials etc.).

To kill processes, you can use "taskkill" command on Windows XP, there
are other tools with which you could check if the process is running.

> Another idea is to have a global settings xml file to set global
> variables and enable/disable features.  For instance some administrators
> may want to be able to globably disable the ability to kill a running
> process as I just outlined.  It may also be a cleaner place to store the
> default runtime flags and path variables rather than having a bat file
> involved.

Maybe in the future, if more users need it, we'll think about it.