[wpkg-users] Queries::Please help me

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Apr 11 21:32:03 CEST 2007

Veeendra Gadde schrieb:
> Hello ,
>
>           I am using wpkg for deployment using windows server 2003 over
> VPN. Here i am using with active directory but we dont dont have pemanent
> workstations for our server.
>
>   We are trying to install softwares to all the users within our VPN. I got
> some queries regarding following:
>
> a) Is it required to use active directory settings (windows server) for the
> deployment within the VPN( as we dont have permanent users).

No. Technically, you have to be able to start:

cscript ... wpkg.js /flags

preferably, at system start.

Without Active Directory, you can easily do it with our WPKG Installer,
or even with a Task Scheduler.

As for packages, they have to be placed somewhere - it can be a local
machine, a remote server etc.

> Will it be
> sufficient to just create a share on server which can be accesible by all
> users.

Yes.

> b) Is there any specified port number for the cscript command to execute on
> server and do we need to open that port in the firewalls with out blocking
> the scripts (windows server 2003) ?

"cscript ... wpkg.js ..." doesn't open or use any ports.

However, if your paths are on a remote server, accessible via Network
Neighbourhood (like \\server\share) - Network Neighbourhood uses ports:

Port Number Traffic Type
445 Microsoft-DS
135 DCE endpoint resolution
136