[wpkg-users] Where is WPKG client config stored?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Apr 25 12:25:18 CEST 2007

> On Tuesday, 24.04.2007 at 20:01 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>> > I've downloaded the sources and taken a look around.  I'm guessing I
>> > should be looking at WPKG/Sources/Components/Secret.*, Security.* or
>> > similar ... can't quite figure out how/where those parameters are
>> > stored.  Can you point me in the right direction?
>>
>> What do you want to achieve, exactly?
>
> I want a means of modifying the WPKG client configuration via means
> other than (manually) using the Administrative shortcut, or via WPKG
> itself.

Well, if you want to modify the WPKG registry settings yourself, then I'm
afraid it's pretty complicated, and it can't be explained that fast and
easily. If you know C and Windows API, consult the sources.
Of course, paid support options for such time consuming cases are also
available :)

> For example, using a WinXP system policy, or similar.  To do this, I
> need to know *what* to set in the registry and *where*.

Then use this system policy to set your clock intact. Or, whatever other
change, because it's not WPKG fault that it can't connect to a share.

> My current example:
>
> For reasons explained in the other thread, some PCs are not correctly
> launching WPKG at boot up because of the clock problem.  On a test
> machine, I can see that adding "net time \\server /set /yes" to the
> "Pre-launch" stage of WPKG solves my problem.  So, I need to modify the
> WPKG client config on N (many!) PCs in the same way.

Use psexec (from a Windows machine) or winexe (from Linux) to launch this
command remotely then.

> But I need to do
> this without using WPKG to make the change, because WPKG doesn't work on
> those PCs until this problem is fixed!  I figured a good way to do this
> is to edit the WPKG client config via a system policy or via some other
> means which edits the registry in the required way.

Anyway - there is something broken with your setup (Kerberos tickets?).
Two machines need to connect to each other to know if the time on them is
the same or different.
And you say that the machines are not connecting at all - so how do they
know the time difference? Telepathy?
Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place, and wrongly assume it's
something with clock?