[wpkg-users] WPKG cannot reach Samba at boot-up (was Re: Where is WPKG client config stored?)

Dave Ewart davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 16:06:50 CEST 2007

On Wednesday, 25.04.2007 at 13:16 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> > On Wednesday, 25.04.2007 at 12:25 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
> > I can't *explain* the problem, but it *is* 100% reproducible
> > relating to the clock being wrong.  I agree that that is very
> > strange.
> >
> > Thanks for all your help anyway, I'll figure this out even if it
> > means walking round to all N WinXP clients and updating the WPKG
> > parameters by hand... :-/
>
> Tell us if you figure out what the problem was.

More and more curious...

I have made some headway here, but this has raised further questions.

Fact: on some 'problem' PCs, WPKG is unable to start wpkg.js on the
Samba server.  I know this because:

    (a) Using 'stat' on wpkg.js, packages.xml, profiles.xml etc. on the
server show that they haven't been looked at (the file atime entry not
updated);

    (b) Samba logs show that no (successful) attempt was made to access
the WPKG share on the Samba server;

My Samba logging is using 'auth:10' so I see lots of detail relating to
share access.  My Samba setup logs to /var/log/samba/clientlog/%m.log -
where %m is the NetBIOS name of the PC.  So, for machine called pc00123,
it logs to /var/log/samba/clientlog/pc00123.log and so on.
Interestingly, for the 'problem' PCs, logging info is logged initially
to /var/log/samba/clientlog/<IP-address-of-pc00123>.log and then, a few
seconds later, logging has switched to
/var/log/samba/clientlog/pc00123.log again.

Does this mean that there is a NetBIOS name resolution problem here
somewhere?  Thus causing logging to go to <IP-address-of-pc00123>.log
initially?  If, at the stage WPKG runs during system boot-up it is
unable to resolve/find the Samba server by name, that would explain why
WPKG cannot run properly.

If so, why does it only affect some PCs on the network?  The server is
running smbd and nmbd in a fairly typical Samba setup and all PCs are
sysprepped from the same WinXP image.

Dave.

--
Dave Ewart
davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Computing Manager, Cancer Epidemiology Unit
Cancer Research UK / Oxford University
PGP: CC70 1883 BD92 E665 B840 118B 6E94 2CFD 694D E370
Get key from http://www.ceu.ox.ac.uk/~davee/davee-ceu-ox-ac-uk.asc
N 51.7518, W 1.2016

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org