[wpkg-users] Question about config.xml and wpkg.xml

Jens Geile jens.geile at mzbs.de
Tue Dec 4 12:35:28 CET 2007

Hi,

I've been messing around with the new wpkg.js and WPKG Client the past few days and thought it would be cool if I didn't store the wpkg.xml files on the local harddrives of the clients but on the server instead. Previously I just copied the wpkg.xml file at the end of each run to the server and left the wpkg.xml on the local harddrive. Then I messed around with the settings of config.xml and tried the following settings:

<param name='settings_file_name' value='%COMPUTERNAME%.xml' />
<param name='settings_file_path' value='\\\\server\\wpkg\\status' />

<param name='logLevel' value='0xFF' />
<param name='log_file_path' value='\\\\server\\wpkg\\status' />
<param name='logfilePattern' value='[HOSTNAME].log' />

In my tests it worked pretty well so far but I'm a little concerned that I might run into problems at a later point I haven't thought of yet.

Bottom line: ANyone out there who already tried this or anyone who can tell me what problems I have to get ready for?
Since I activated the offline mode in WPKG Client it shouldn't complain about a missing wpkg.xml because the server isn't available since it shouldn't run at all if the server isn't available.

-
jens

Easy Software Deployment >> http://wpkg.org