[wpkg-users] problems getting wpkg installer to work

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Feb 1 10:53:56 CET 2007

Paul Bais wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My wpkg installer won't start properly. The only message I get in the system
> log is "The service terminated unexpectedly" (service control event #7031).
> When I start the service manually, it runs without any problems.
>
> Using wpkg 0.9.10 with wpkg installer 0.90 on windows 2000 sp4 (dutch).
> I only use the script file path, parameters, and the execution context user
> and password.
>
> Any suggestions?

A quick google search for "service control event #7031" reveals this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316612

CAUSE
This issue may occur if the server is infected with the Code Red worm or
a variant.

I don't know if it's your issue though. Did you try it on a newly
installed system?

If the service started manually works (net stop "WPKG Service", net
start "WPKG Service"), I see no reason why should it fail to start
automatically.

WPKG Installer certainly runs fine on Windows 2000 SP4.

.