[wpkg-users] creative ideas to spread out the running of wpkg installs?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Jul 19 13:15:04 CEST 2007

>> With small devices serving as file servers, installing 70 clients
>> concurrently is not a great idea (although it happened to me to
>> installed ~30-40 machines, operating system + software, off a 2.4 GHz
>> machine with 256 MB RAM - still, it went fine).
>> So I guess, the OP should look more carefully at his server's configuration.
>
> Definitely. Or possibly network congestion (can that raise the CPU load? I
> guess re-trying TCP transmissions could do but I'm no expert on TCP
> stacks...).

Increased network activity can increase load, but not much. On a 3 GHz server, sending and receiving at a full 1 Gb/s (both ways), brings the system
load up to about 2.

I can only guess that OP's problem is wrong setup:

- if he is running Samba, he has probably enabled too excessive logging
- probably, not enough RAM

So, the server writes 70 different logfiles, and tries to read that same file 70 times - disk has to jump in different places all the time, and
hence, the load.