[wpkg-users] creative ideas to spread out the running of wpkg installs? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Michael Chinn m.chinn at gbrmpa.gov.au
Fri Jul 20 01:18:16 CEST 2007

One solution I used when rolling out a 40mb module was use a 2 stage
loader/installer with wpkg. Our reason was to cater for field operators
who only connect for short periods then go away for weeks at a time.
eg:-
Package Loader - Copies the installer to the machine using something
like Robocopy, stores it in %windir%\temp, tests for file on succeed
Package Installer - Depends on Loader, runs installer from %temp%, tests
for program installation, if space is an issue deletes zip file from
temp and creates a 0 length package.zip so that loader doesnt repeat

One of the benefits of robocopy is you can control the download rate and
retry on fail.

--
Michael Chinn
User Support Officer - Information Technology

Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
PO Box 1379
TOWNSVILLE, QLD 4810

Ph 07 47500874 Fax 07 4772 6093
michaelc at gbrmpa.gov.au

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately
by return email and delete all copies. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or
distribution of this email is prohibited.

Urs Rau wrote, On 19/07/2007 18:45:
> Friends,
>
> Wpkg is a great product, but it doesn't come without it's own dangers
> and traps.
>
> One of the traps is that in order to make sure the wpkg installs get
> pushed out inside a reasonable timeframe, I opted to setup a scheduled
> task that restarts the wpkg service every two hours. Turns out that can
> be more problematic than I was expecting.
>
> The other day I was adding "adobe reader 8.1" to our sites main profile.
>
> The result was that ~ 70 PCs were trying to download and install a >=
> 90MB file from the server. This gave me an average uptime of around 30+
> for about 2 hours. Basically the install processes were slowing each
> other down so much, that users couldn't work on the PCs. We had to go
> running around and start switching about 50 - 70% of the PCs off. For
> the remaining started installs to finnish. But this created 2 hours of
> chaos and almost unuesable workstations.
>
> The server isn't really underspeced and has not ever shown signs of
> slowing down any other time, under normal usage and loads.
>
> Does anybody have any clever or creative ideas on how to avoid this sort
> of overload? Maybe having a central file that monitors requests that the
> wpkg service want's to launch and a service that monitors sensible loads
>  and tells the wpkg service on the workstations to delay until it thinks
> the server load allows for more processes?
>
> How have others worked around this?
>
> The thought of installing MS .Net frameworks or MS office pkgs using
> wpkg now seems really frightening.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions or poiters.

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org