[wpkg-users] security issues

Brian May bam at snoopy.apana.org.au
Tue Jun 5 06:42:04 CEST 2007

    Jerome> There are various settings in Group Policy for requiring
    Jerome> signing or encryption between machines. And there are
    Jerome> various settings to DNS to require signing of records
    Jerome> (DNSSEC). As usual, disable insecure mechanisms like
    Jerome> NetBIOS.

DNS is not used for looking up hostnames in a Windows network (not
counting active directory which is not yet supported under Linux; all
of our servers are Linux based), WINS servers are used for that
purpose.

I suspect I will have similar issues with group policy. Or am I
mistaken? Is it possible to setup a group policy for requiring signing
without active directory?

    Jerome> You can harden machines like this. Admittedly, most people
    Jerome> probably don't.

I don't think it is possible, short of getting a Windows 2003 server
box and creating an active directory based domain.
--
Brian May <bam at snoopy.apana.org.au>