[wpkg-users] security issues [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Michael Chinn m.chinn at gbrmpa.gov.au
Tue Jun 12 02:17:29 CEST 2007

We run 250 machines in a workgroup environment with samba 2.2.8 (dont
ask) and user level security. When we went to set up wpkg we found that
we needed a samba 3 server with user level access. At this point the
wpkg user credentials were passed correctly between machines when
connections were attempted using (as far as I can tell) NTLMv2. Of
course the user/pass must exist on both machines, but you dont need
guest access.

client NTLMv2 auth = Yes

--
Michael Chinn
User Support Officer - Information Technology

Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
PO Box 1379
TOWNSVILLE, QLD 4810

Ph 07 47500874 Fax 07 4772 6093
michaelc at gbrmpa.gov.au

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately
by return email and delete all copies. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or
distribution of this email is prohibited.

Marco Gaiarin wrote, On 11/06/2007 17:27:
> Mandi! Florian Klaempfl
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>

>> Is this a real issue? Having the ability to connect a machine with admin
>> access to the network (this is required to setup a fake server) offers a
>> lot of other possible DoS attacks (formatting a hard disk of a client PC
>> is no more than a DoS attack to this machine).
>>

> I'm exactly thinking about this.
>
> On a 'old domain' (NT4, Samba, W2k in compatibility mode) there's still
> a 'machine account' that have to be setted up, and the machine account
> have to be initialized with an administrator password (eg, someone in
> Domain Admins group).
>
> But if i've got an account in Domain Admins, nothing in the windows lan
> are secure. At this point, using WPKG or not using WPKG it is only a
> choiche of the attacker, that have *FULL* control of the lan...
> I'm not aware of the existence of attacks to the 'machine account' of
> NT4/samba.
>

> The question, for me, is another: is the 'workgroup' a supported
> environment for WPKG?
> If yes, some sort of 'authentication' have to be implemented, or at
> least state that a 'share level' password in the share are a minimum
> requirement.

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org