[wpkg-users] frequency of wpkgservice checking for new installs

Brad Langhorst brad at coopmetrics.coop
Wed Jun 13 18:55:58 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 09:41 +0200, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Mandi! Tomasz Chmielewski
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > There is one slight problem with that: WPKG Client and wpkg.js are not
> > very well integrated (it will change slowly in the future; right now,
> > there are even problems with restarts initiated by wpkg.js etc.).
> > This means, we would have to learn WPKG Client to read and parse files
> > used by wpkg.js. Which means - parsing profiles.xml is not enough, and
> > profiles can be also kept in "profiles" directory.
>
> A note: this is a very good point about wpkg: if client are smaller,
> and totally indipendent from the server, and all of the core 'code' are
> server side, there's little or no possibility to break something.
>
> So, i clearly interesting in new featue, but please don't break this
> simple and robust approach.
I think the idea of having the client just parse the results of a new wpkg.js
switch  /exportprofiles is a good balance between the simplicity of keeping
most of the logic server side and still allowing a new feature of periodic
sync.

I'm not a long time user, so maybe I'm wrong about this. Do you think it's reasonable?

> In this topic: why not writing a recipe/package that simply add a
> task (with schtasks) that run wpkg as a regular basis?
see my next post...
--
Brad Langhorst
CTO - CoopMetrics