[wpkg-users] silent installer for Solid Edge service pack

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Jun 18 15:37:13 CEST 2007

Vincent MALIEN schrieb:

> Tomasz Chmielewski a écrit :
>>> wpkg is executed by an Active Directory Group Policy defined on the
>>> domain controller as explained on:
>>> http://wpkg.org/index.php/WPKG_with_Active_Directory
>>> but I don't know which account is executing the script 'wpkg-start.bat'?
>>> How can I define to execute the script by the user 'DOMAIN\Admins du
>>> domaine' which is mender of the local group 'Administrateurs'?
>>
>> Active directory-initiated scripts are executed as the SYSTEM user.
>>
>> There is no way to change it (unless you play with runas and similar
>> tools).
>>
>> Or use WPKG Client/installer.
>>
> Dear Tomasz, Thanks for your time and answers.
> With the Active Directory Group Policy, the account SYSTEM can install
> firefox, thunderbird, but haven't enough privileges to install such
> software as Solid Edge.

No, it's not like that.
A SYSTEM account has all necessary privileges, exceeding even those of
Administrator.
It's Solid Edge installer that is broken - I can recommend you complain
to your vendor.

It's amazing that the first multi-user Windows system (Windows 2000)
"for masses" was released 7 years ago, yet software vendors still assume
the software will be installed manually on each workstation, and using
Administrator account, and then, preferably, started using Administrator
account.

> I added the local account AUTORIT NT\SYSTEM to the local group
> 'Administrateurs' on one computer and I rebooted it.
> It would be an easy solution but it seems that this account can't have
> full administrative privileges, the error message in the event log is
> the same.
>
> runas is also not a solution because you can't give the password in a
> command line. So I will install WPKG Client/installer on every PC.

You can remember credentials (/savecred), but I never used that tool
from a SYSTEM account, so I'm not sure if and how it works.