[wpkg-users] running a dos program in packages.xml

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Mar 20 12:15:58 CET 2007

Adam Williams schrieb:
> I've created a <package> in packages.xml just like any other (and added
> it to profiles.xml).
>
> I have:
>
> <package
> id="grcdrop"
> name="GRCDROP for Symantec AV"
> revision="3"
> reboot="false"
> priority="15"
> execute="once">
> <install cmd='%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /c \\roark\wpkg\pkg\grcdrop.exe'>

Why did you put "%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /c " before the exe file?

> </install>
> </package>
>

> grcdrop.exe looks for a grc.dat file in the same directory and loads it
> in symantec anti-virus (used to change the location of the central
> antivirus server).
>
> when I run grcdrop.exe by hand at a cmd shell by typing in
> \\roark\wpkg\pkg\grcdrop.exe, it runs fine, but when i do cscript
> \\roark\wpkg\wpkg.js /synchronize i get an error:

Do you start it as Administrator or SYSTEM?
What happens if you run it with /synchronize /debug flags?

> Could not execute GRCDROP for Symantec AV. Exit code returned
> non-successful value: 8587624
>
> a google search on the error message doesn't return anything.  any
> suggestions?

Anything in the Event Log?
Does it make a difference if you start it in the bat script? For example:

<install cmd='\\roark\wpkg\script.bat'>

and \\roark\wpkg\script.bat containing:

\\roark\wpkg\pkg\grcdrop.exe

But first, try it before "%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /c";
\\roark\wpkg\pkg\grcdrop.exe is not a cmd.exe builtin command, is it?...