[wpkg-users] Reccomended initial WPKG practice

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Mar 27 19:48:36 CEST 2007

Mike B. schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently begun testing WPKG extensively and was wondering how do other admins initially deploy WPKG in their environment? I've read the installation instructions and advanced installation instructions, but all the several different WPKG install methods have pros and cons.
>
> For example, I would love to use the WPKG Installer GUI, but the bug which causes reboots to stop working when you configure a logon delay stops me from doing so.

This should be fixed soon, perhaps somewhere middle April.
If you're using XP, you can use the shutdown command to force a reboot.

> The other method, running WPKG as a service, poses a problem in my environment as I don't want people being able to log in while packages are being installed.
>
> The last method, running WPKG as a scheduled task at night time seems the most attractive to me... however, again I was just wondering -- how do other admins do it?

I'd recommend WPKG Installer GUI, but it seems it does not have all
features you need yet (reboot bug you mentioned).

Before that, I was using a Task Scheduler with Samba domains; in AD
environment, one can simply start scripts (on bootup, shutdown etc.)
using AD functionality.