[wpkg-users] wpkg can fill-up event log and then stops

Urs Rau urs.rau at uk.om.org
Fri Nov 9 00:27:21 CET 2007

Wondering if any of you have found out as well, that wpkg can fill-up
the event log rather quickly, if it is processing a lot of installs and
re-runs frequently, or if you write install scripts or batch files that
are too "chatty".

The "odd" thing I noticed is, that as and when the event log is full and
it can't overwrite the events yet, because the default 7 days haven't
been reached, then wpkg appears to be stopping to work and apply the
packages.

The only way to get it going again, appears to be to clear the event log
on the affected machines. But this isn't a good state of affairs. Does
anybody have a script handy that changes the defaults for the event log
to be to 'overwrite' 'as needed' and not as is 'default' only after the
entires to be overwritten are 7 days or older.

Why is it that wpkg just stops working if the event log is full?

It displays:
wpkg.js(2355, 2) (null): The event log file is full.

which in my case means

> 	/** writing to event viewer */
> 	var WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell");
> 	WshShell.logEvent(type, description);

The last line "WshShell.logEvent(type, description);" is line 2355 in my
 wpkg.js file. (slightly modified version 0.9.10 - enabled logging to
central file as per wpkg bugzilla suggestion from Leon Hedding - a long
time ago)

Thanks for any pointers,

--
Urs Rau