[wpkg-users] Priority vs Dependancy -- Order of Installation

Dr. Frank Lee rl201 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 00:10:30 CET 2007

<installing MS bugfixes>

> I understand that higher priority packages are going to install first. I
> know that, if one package/profile depends on another, that the other
> package/profile will get installed as well, but does that imply the
> dependancy will be installed first regardless of priority? In some cases, I
> could see that as being a requirement. Software B requires Software A to be
> installed first to register properly, but due to them being set at the same
> priority, B installs first, then A, missing the required configuration
> steps.

> How does WPKG handle dependancies and how does it deal with order of
> installation? If this is already answered in a FAQ somewhere, I apologize
> for not having searched there first. I haven't had the luxury of time to
> disect the code to read my answer directly.

(I'm replying 'cos I think I contributed the start of the 'dependancy'
code...)

The 'dependancy' just adds the packages to the list, which is then
installed in order of priority. If 'foo' depends on 'bar' being present
for 'foo' to install properly, 'bar' ought to have a higher priority than
'foo'.

In the example above, B should be set at a higher priority than A for
success. (I usually have 900-999 as the priority for OS patches, 700-799
for antivirus etc, 500-599 for 'mission critical' applications, 300-399
for useful things and 100-199 for end-user things like office. Even
numbered centuries are 'reserved for future expansion'...)

Yours,

Frank

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org